Friday, May 24, 2013

Portrait of San Francisco



"King of the City"
Exhibited at the Milton Marks Convention Center Gallery, S.F., 2011
(Pardon the poor documentation.)

This gouache on paper experiment is a precursor to my later abstracts that "create something out of nothing." While my partner drove the car I took photographs (film, this was before digital was big) using a telephoto as we traveled around S.F. From that one roll of 36 images I found these 17 told a story about life in this city. I was determined that I could make something beautiful and meaningful out of this one randomly shot roll of film, thus the "something out of nothing."

Looking back now I notice the full page circular motion that became so common in my more recent abstracts, perhaps a pattern of looking deeply while collecting as much data as possible for the study.