Monday, October 16, 2017

Yearlong Project has a Brutal New Influence

It is 3.5 months into the work.

Large local fires (CA wine country) have caused death and immense pain for those who have survived and lost their security (physical and emotional).

How do I address this monumental event?
     First is by getting over my initial paralyzing shock (a strong fear of fire and many close call occurrences of the real thing have been in my life since I was 11 yrs old.) This involves checking on loved ones and attending to maps, wind directions, and future weather patterns.
     Next is by realizing that this traumatic event joins many others in the world, and so is part of our natural course in history. Set up prayer patterns that incorporate the near and the far if I haven't already. Try to see if there is anything physical that I can do to help.
     Third is by putting my ink to paper and not worrying about what I create.

This is not a time to judge the artwork, but is instead a time to let flow... pour out onto the canvas what is inside. Artists throughout the ages have kept themselves sane during difficult times by releasing their honest flow. To be honest about one's own humanity is a natural and very healthy way of easing into change.