Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hopeful Symbol Borrowed from the Greeks

"Revelation"

I have been asked to place images in an art catalogue designed around the theme of the aftermath of 9/11: How has one's art been influenced in the ten years following this horrendous event?

My daughter had just entered 6th grade when the Twin Towers came down. "Revelation" was painted in 2008, the last year of my daughter's youth. At the time of this painting I was designing a set for the high school's theatrical performance of "West Side Story" and could relate profoundly to the message of bleakness and helpless despair for the future of the world's youth.

The Greeks used the triangle, mounted on the tops of their great buildings, to symbolize hope. Here I have placed this same symbol within the nest of our grieving country.