Saturday, April 23, 2011

Pulling out those Enlightening Magnifiers


Click on this image to find the real size of my 3"x5" drawings.
Yes, they are still difficult to see, for older eyes.
Magnifying glasses are recommended for anyone over the age of 40 who is not lucky enough to be nearsighted.

I began doing this tiny imagery when I noticed the audience at a Faberge exhibition was not looking closely at a certain egg, and therefore missing the point of the whole creation, the exquisite likenesses of the Tzar and his family, each image no bigger than my little fingernail. In fact, I couldn't see these portraits, either, but luckily I borrowed a second pair of magnifying glasses from a friend. I put them BOTH on, one on top of the other, and the fabulous world of Faberge and the Tzar's family came to life. I could actually imagine the family members looking at each other, having everyday feelings for each other!

My little drawings are obviously not direct portraits... But hopefully their abstract symbolism has a resonance with the audience... but you might have to pull out the magnifying glasses to get to the essence of the story lines.

Below is the same drawing. This time when you click on the image you will see it enlarged into a form where the details become more clearly objects, actions, and progressions.

Such is life: We can look at it from far away and it appears to be one thing. Or we can look at the details and see something quite different, perhaps even motivations for why things are happening.