Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Always a Student


"The Student (By the River Flow)"
4"x4"

Speaking of friendliness with water, per my post earlier today, here is the painting that emerged the day after my reunion. Clearly water is a powerful force, but friendly as well.

This is probably a portrait of Heidi Hopkins, although I have no idea of what she was like as a child, she being older than me and of a different social group. She is watchful and thoughtful now, so she must have been likewise then.

The owl inspiration may have come from Heidi, or from Dirk and his wife, who talked of the owls living in the woods surrounding their home. Or maybe they are just from me, because I have been putting a lot of owls in my drawing/paintings lately.

By the way, here's a good read about colorful pioneer-in-combo-with-cultured life on top of those glorious golden hills of Big Sur, back when approximately 250 people lived within a distance of 90 miles from San Simeon to Carmel Highlands... the 1950s and 1960s.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2061078.Heidi_Hopkins

(Update: The painting now lives at the top of the Big Sur mountain described in the book, overlooking the sea far below.)